Pages

Friday, December 16, 2011

Meghan + Jon {Charleston Wedding}

 This past Labor Day weekend, Meghan + Jon invited 60 of their closest friends and family to the Lowcountry to join them in a big celebration.  After much research, the destination couple selected Old Wide Awake Plantation to host their laid back Southern affair.  This stunning Antebellum plantation sits on the banks of the Stono River and offers a picturesque backdrop for a classic Charleston wedding.  Kristie of Say LULLOW Creative was on hand to capture all of the details and some emotional moments between the bride and groom.  Meghan's sister is the talent behind Local Root Wildflower and designed a gorgeous array of Fall flowers to compliment the bride's rustic color palette.

 

 Tell us a little bit about how you met your husband. How long have you known each other?  

Where did you meet? I met my husband, Jon, through a mutual friend. My girlfriend told me that she had this guy in my mind for me and he was going to be at this party that weekend. She had sent out a group email on the details for the upcoming party. There was some group banter going around and then he started just emailing me. We emailed each other back and forth over the next couple of days. When I first saw the tall green eyed, blonde hair boy – I was super nervous which I don’t normally get. Since we were in a group setting there wasn’t much alone time but we managed to get in some small talk. He was a little shy at first but, my outgoing personality helped break the ice and ever since then we’ve been attached at the hip. We’ve known each other for a little over two years.

 

What was your color palette

Purple, yellow, brown, green (I really didn’t have a set color palette; I let my flowers speak for my color palette and used more natural colors throughout the décor. I had burlap pieces on the table and they were also used as ties for the taller tables. Mason jars and old kraft wooden cheese boxes were used to hold the flower centerpieces. )

 
 

 How did he propose? How long were you engaged for? 

It kind of worked out for him because I did all the planning. Ha. I planned a winter weekend getaway in small town called, Hocking Hills. Once we got to the cabin, we went on hike and then decided to try out the hot tub. I was pulling clothes out of our suitcase and he sat me down on the bed and started to tell me how much he loved me. I had no clue what he was doing. I replied, “I love you too.” Jon dropped to one knee and I started freaking out. He popped the question and I screamed, “YES! YES!” We were engaged for 8 months before our big day.






Why did you choose to have A Lowcountry Wedding?  


I knew I wanted to get married in South Carolina but it was going to take some convincing with our parents. I knew that Charleston would get a great spot for family and friends to vacation and hopefully find a very southern venue.

 
 
 

 How did you choose your venue?

One of my sisters lives on Wadalmaw Island so she was able to do all the leg work in finding a venue. There were a couple of venues that she had visited for me but they didn’t leave a lasting impression. I was talking to a couple of vendors for the wedding and one had mentioned Old Wide Awake Plantation. Just from the photos on the website – I was sold. My sister went to visit the venue and she fell in love with the place. The venue had a great dance area, interesting bar area and just a beautiful backdrop for a wedding.

 

What’s your favorite picture from your wedding?


I have a ton of favorites. My photographer was amazing and caught some really great moments. One of my favorites is our first kiss as husband and wife and our bridal party celebrating us in the background. My other favorite would be us with the Thank you sign. I love the fact that we were both laughing (not sure at what) and it’s such a natural photo of us. 

 
 
  

Your wedding was filled with gorgeous details. Did any have special meaning? What was your favorite?  

One of my favorite details were the flowers – my sister, Erin, started her own flower business (Local Roots Wildflowers) and she grew the flowers herself. Erin and her boyfriend also made the guest book table which was AMAZING! I had one of my talented musician friends play the ceremony music. A neighbor created card holders for our food cards and photos that we were displayed throughout the tables. They were made out of wine corks and stained glass. They added just a bit more color to the simply center pieces. Last but not least, my dad had brought with him the cake topper that was used at his mom’s wedding. I could go on and on about the little touches. Throughout the planning process, I wanted to include family and friends with certain details of the wedding. I would have an idea and I would call on a family or friend to see if they would be able to create my vision. It worked out so organically.

 

 Tell us a little bit about your menu. Did you add any Lowcountry elements? 

The menu was heavy appetizers. I’m a vegetarian so I wanted to incorporate that into our menu but make sure that the meat-eaters weren’t starving. Some of the menu items were: tomato bruschetta


Out of the entire day, what was the most memorable moment? 

During the reception, Jon and I snuck off to take a breather. We just told each other how happy we were and how excited we were about spending the rest of our lives together. I will always remember that moment.

Looking back on your engagement and wedding, is there any advice you would give to brides in the planning process? 

If you aren’t going to be at the wedding venue getting ready – go and take 30 minutes in the morning to make sure everything is set. Also, make sure you give yourself enough time to take photos. Our transportation was late and we missed out on hour and half of taking photos which ate into our time for the reception.


 Vendors
Ceremony and Reception Venue: Old Wide Awake Plantation  /  Photographer: Say LULLOW Creative  /  Invitations: Tiny Prints  /  Cake: Three Little Birds  /  Flowers: Local Roots Wildflowers  /  Hair & Makeup: Urban Nirvana  /  DJ /Band : Other Brother EntertainmentDJ josh  /  

1 comment:

  1. A huge THANKS to A Lowcountry Wedding for this beautiful tribute to an amazing couple! I know we all thoroughly enjoyed our time in the gorgeous Charleston area!

    Here are the links to best contact me:
    http://sayLULLOWcreative.etsy.com
    or
    http://www.saylullowcreative.com/

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete